TIME TO REWIND...

So Christmas has been done and dusted...well except for those we catch up with a day or two, or even a week later. But the main event is over. We breathe a sigh of relief, wear loose fitting clothes from our over indulgence and fill the rubbish bins with wrapping paper and empty bottles.  A lot of people have a few days off to relax, rewind and recover.


For me this is a chance to do not much but read. I am heading, as I usually do, to my sister's place in the Tambo valley in East Gippsland. There is a lot of talking, walking, checking out the garden, full on board game marathons with the boys...but I do get to read as well.




This year I managed to read 52 books and listened to 12 audio books. I was late coming to the audio books and I must admit I have to find the RIGHT one. I have to enjoy listening to the narrator (and so many of them just don't do it for me) but I find if I'm not totally interested in the story, then I become distracted. Other thoughts and notions enter my mind and before I know it I have no idea what is happening in the story.

But as my sister's place is quite a distance away, I have 3 audios ready to go as well as four and a half books. And a few writing magazines that I have had no chance to dip into.


I will probably do no more than get a chance to read the magazines and perhaps a few chapters of my novel at night. But....the idea is there.

Holidays mean reading.


And honestly only the best (and by these pictures, the sexiest) people read.

So many people insist they have no time but think of a few moments, which quickly turn into minutes and perhaps hours, before you drop off to sleep. It has been shown that the mind needs to slow down before you sleep. What is better than getting into a book?

There has been so much research lately on the benefits of reading. Some research has shown that it can help (stress the word help) the prevention of Alzheimer's.


Reading makes you smarter - that is a proven.

People that read are more culturally aware and more willing to take on new activities.

Reading enhances your memory and is known to be therapeutic.

Reading increases your vocabulary and reading fiction increases your ability to understand emotions and empathize with others.


I can not think of a day when I don't read..something.

Perhaps a great resolution for 2017, and an easy one to do, will be to read more.


Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....