IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER....

We all don't like the same thing. Thankfully. Imagine a world where we couldn't be eclectic and like a bit of this, a bit of that and heh, that really doesn't belong in my house but I'll have it because it makes me smile.

I know most folks have their own style. Whether it is in fashion or home decor, even gardening. I think I"m a bit of this and a bit of that kinda girl. Eclectic sums me up, even in the garden. A bit of formality here, a bit of country style abandonment there and how about an attempt of topiary way over there. Why not? It's all about what you like.













In Brisbane Miss T and I ventured to the Gallery of Modern Art..or GOMA as it is known. Well I didn't know it was known as that but it appears it is.

I do like art. I don't understand a lot about it but I come from an artistic family. My mother, sister and one brother are so damned artistic it makes me want to scream...(we'll talk about envy another day). So I like art, and a lot of what I saw in GOMA made me smile.


I mean isn't this just cute. A seal holding up a piano. It may mean more than the chuckle it gave me but isn't art up to the person seeing it to comprehend? Or put their viewpoint and perspective on it?



Loved the dinosaur, either tied down or captured by the assorted drawers and cabinetry.


This huge skeleton of some amazing giant form of anaconda.


This was my favourite. It was so textual and so damned lovely.

Other art instalments I didn't understand.


Beautiful and very interesting...



but I just didn't get what they were all about.




I kept thinking of Homer Simpson and his love of donuts when I saw this one.

I didn't understand them, they weren't to my taste but that was okay. I'm sure there would have been other gallery visitors who loved the mirror work and thought the elephant a cliche in thought and concept.

What it proved was that our tastes are all different.

I try to keep reminding myself of this when I send my work out there. Just because it is 'non accepted' doesn't mean it's bad. Doesn't mean it never should see the light of day again.

It's the same when in the audience of an open mike event. There will be some poets / writers you love. Will hang on their every word, will listen to every nuance and phrase, will marvel at the way they deliver their work. Others will do nothing for you. You will find your mind wander, to the grocery list at home, to the reminder of booking in the dentist next week.

This is not a bad thing. It just means that it's not for you. It's also not just open mike and perceived beginners. It's published and award winning writers and poets. I would love to have a dollar for every 'must be read' author or 'just won the such and such award' poet whose work has not done it for me.

But that's the joy of having taste. Some you like, some you don't. Doesn't mean they are either good or bad writers, just that they didn't grab you. Perhaps another time they might. Perhaps with another theme...perhaps not.

It just means that it's time to pick up another book and give someone else a go.



Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....