DEFINED AS A MOTHER....

Mother's day, to me, is an interesting mix of good and bad, guilt and pleasure. There is this HUGE expectation that you (if you are a mother) will be force fed breakfast in bed (ugh the crumbs!) given presents of flannelette pyjamas, fluffy slippers and super flammable dressing gowns.

If you have a mother (most folks do) then you are to give all of the above to her as well. With a bunch of petrol station chrysanthemums, bought on an impulse of 'oh crap it's mother's day'.

I find it interesting in so many ways. When you become a mother, you are instantly defined. MOTHER.


 And for a lot of us, we become lost in that title. Especially if that is what we focus on. Our world revolves around our children. And if we have no outside job, we become very internal. Our world becomes smaller and smaller...and sometimes, honestly, it feels as though there is no way out.


 Our role in society is that of mother. We are known as M-------- and L------'s mother.  And often it is hard to break away from that. But we must. Children have a habit of growing up.


 They grow up and then move out of home, and away.


Create lives of their own. Which is what you want. Your job in life is to help create productive independent people.

That's when you have to discover who you are. Yes you are still their mother, but you are not only defined as such.  You are much more, and it's up to you to find out exactly who you are.

I think some people never do. They become focused on being 'mother' and forget about other aspects of themselves.

I am many things. I am wife....partner...other half of a whole.


I am a daughter, my parent's child, and as we know, parents influence us in so many ways.


I am the eldest child, with two brothers and a sister.


Once again, without realising it, we have influenced each other as we have grown up. We know which buttons to push, which subjects to leave alone.


I am aunt to fourteen nieces and nephews...and great-aunt to one. 

I am grandmother to two of the most adorable little girls.




I am sister-in-law and daughter-in-law. I am mother-in-law and step-daughter. I am friend and work colleague (and yes give me a chance to dress up and I'm there)


I'm 'mother' to a fur baby as well...who spends her days ignoring me.


I am a storyteller and writer, gardener and baker, dishwasher and handyman. I am adventurer and explorer, pessimist and optimist. I am so many things...and so much more to discover.

Mother is a word given so much weight, especially on those Hallmarked days of schmaltz and sweetly embossed words.

Mother is really defined as 'given birth to'...mothering, on the other hand, is another story.

Vicki 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....