READY FOR HIBERNATION....

I must admit I do love autumn. It's not only the trees colouring up gorgeously as they are at the moment, it's more the lovely sunshine filled days with the crisp mornings and chilled nights.

These are the days that are just delightful to be out and about in. Not too hot, not too cold (bit Goldilocks I know but that's how I feel).


Interestingly enough, it's when I begin to hibernate.

Not that I crawl into my cave and that's it, lights out. Wake me when spring arrives. Although that would be nice at times...but I feel myself slow down.

Simple tasks take longer, I get sidetracked easier (if that was possible)...and my writing actually stops. And if not stops, it slows down to a trickle, no, not even a trickle. More like a few desultory drips every now and then.


I was reading an article a while ago that said we are a fickle lot when it comes to fashion. In summer and spring we buy buy buy. Not because we need, but we want. All that sunshine and bright colours attract us and we decide we need that top, and that skirt and wow, isn't that the cutest dress.

However when the weather gets cooler we slow down our buying. We now buy because we need something. A new coat for those cold nights, a new pair of boots as our last pair just curled up their toes and died.

I wonder if our creativity heads the same way?


If it's dark when you leave for work (or just beginning to get light) and it's dark when you get home ... most of us just want to snuggle down and not move. We don't want to head to studies or bedrooms or attics or far end of kitchen tables - wherever we write. It's too far away from the warmth and joy of family, even if a rug over our legs sometimes works. For the warmth that is. Could try draping a family member or pet but I wouldn't recommend it.


So do we all slow down when the weather begins to chill?

Or is it just another excuse. And wow, don't I have a lot? Is this when determination and grit comes to the fore?

Is this when we hunker down and tap away at that keyboard to get that word count soaring?

Is there a reason why Nanowrimo (national novel writing month) occurs in November when the weather warms up and we are enticed by new thoughts and sounds?


And if so, is it now that I should come up with a plan on how to make this work for me.

Should I only attempt haiku in the cooler months? Perhaps a poem or two? Work on the performance poetry that barely sees the light of day?

Leave the novel and short stories to spring and summer?


It's an interesting thought and I do think I need to have a plan in action.

Let's just see if I have enough get up and go to prepare one!

Vicki


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....