UNDERSTANDING CHILDREN..

It's known that I work with children (and I love it).  However the past few weeks I've spent more time with children than I have with adults.  From babies of a few months, to teenagers. I went on holiday with Little Miss, and over the past few weeks not only ran my usual programs but have picked up a few extra. We also had Little Miss and Toddler With Attitude stay with us for a few days as well. This has really got my head spinning with ideas!


 And frankly the more I work with children, the more time I spend with them, the more I am amazed at how they think. How they work things out. How they see the world.

It is such a revelation to discover what matters to them. What drives them.

On Monday I had a Tinies Time, there I was singing away while babies crawled and toddled and basically did what they wanted to do...when I looked down to find three little boys had crawled up to me. They sat there, looking up at me, with the most beautiful smiles on their faces. When I finished the song they all began to move on. One mum said 'yes that's his favourite song and he was excited you knew his song.'  It was such a sweet moment but don't you wonder what was going through their minds?

Last week I also stepped in to do a Harry Potter program. It was a potions class and there we were, all our Potterites happily adding their spoonfuls of ingredients to our gurgling and exploding pot. Then all of them looked at me. 'Can we put in some glitter?' I nodded and then bedlam as all colours of glitter was added. No longer were they mature ten plus year olds, they were little kids adding handfuls of glitter because it was 'fun'.



The past few weeks I've also been working with children in a writing workshop and a weekly writing course. Oh wow, how a child's mind works!

Some of the discussions we've had as we created characters has been so revealing. We have looked at images and then they had to tell me about them. Rich / poor/ happy / sad / young / old. Where do they live? What sort of house do they live in? What job do they have? Do they have a family? Friends?

We then discussed why do you think they are rich / poor/ happy etc. Some of their explanations were great. One attendee said 'he's poor because I don't think the hat and coat he's wearing are in his favourite colours. Someone gave him these to wear, and he does it because he's cold but they are just clothes to keep him warm. They don't make him happy.'

Mind you when they said this man was old (he was well into his 80's) , like really old. He must have been 35!!!!!!! (yes over use of exclamation marks but come on.)



We all know that in so many ways I have yet to grow up, and I may  will do so at some stage of my life.  However this ability, or not wanting to adult all the time, does help me I feel in my writing.

I must admit the last few weeks have been hectic. They have been so full on that while my head is swirling with comments and thoughts and ideas, very few have settled.

One idea that has been captured was when I was at the park and one little person (who I have never met before) told me that I was short and maybe if I hung upside down on the monkey bars I would stretch. Hmmmmmm. I didn't try (perhaps I should have) but a lovely idea for a story came to me and that has been put down.

Things will settle down soon, and I'll be able to think more of some of what I've heard and noticed. Some of the comments made...


I do think a lot of ideas twirl around and around till they begin to gel into something good. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Vicki 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....